Skip to main content

Norman Galaxy of Writers' Meeting, Saturday March 14 2015



10 am at University Lutheran Church, 914 Elm.

Please park in the back. Festivities will begin at 10 am. Join us and bring guests.
All meetings are free and open to the public.


Milton Smith will share some insights on photography from a writer’s point of view.

March white elephant/April poetry slam.

April is National Poetry Month. Those who wish to participate should bring one wrapped white elephant object to the March meeting and you can unwrap someone else’s object. You have one month to write a poem about it to read at the April meeting. Maximum 16 lines. Everyone reads their poem and a certificate will be awarded to the best one.

http://normangalaxyofwriters.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Proud of My Son

           On September 30, 2022, my son, Ian Kennedy, opened his business, Naughty Axes Playhouse , at 4407 SE 29 th Street, in Del City, Ok. I'm so proud of him. The place looks great. Especially when it was all decked out for Halloween. He and his partners built all the targets, lanes, and remolded the interior of the building themselves. They did a great job. I didn't even realize my son knew how to use a hammer for anything other than demolition. I had such a great time during their Grand Opening. Throwing sharp objects at stationary targets is really a fantastic way to relieve stress. It's great exercise. Especially for tightening up those flabby underarms. I am bound and determined to become efficient enough to enter a tournament. Wonder if they have a Senior's division in pro axe throwing competitions? Not only is he starting his own axe throwing business, he's also starting his career as a comedian. He's already performed at the B...

Hugo, No Go

There has been a lot of backlash, bitching, and bulling over the 2015 Hugo Award Nominations.  I am so sad over this whole Sad Puppy shit.  Frankly, my dears, I don't give a damn about an author's politics. If I am offended by their writing, I will not continue to purchase said writing. No one forces anyone to read anything that offends them.  No author should encourage censorship.  I don't know if the nominations were fair, on the up and up, or deserve a big boo from the peanut gallery. I do know they got a couple of the nominations right.  Congratulations to a few fellows I know personally, like profoundly, and admire professionally:   Jim Butcher, Lou Antonelli, Mike Resnick, Jim Minz, and Brad W. Foster.  Y'all rock! Good luck! My favorite nominations for the 2015 Hugo Awards: Best Novel: Skin Game , Jim Butcher (Orbit UK/Roc Books) Best Short Story: “On A Spiritual Plain” , Lou Antonelli ( Sci Phi J...

Achievable writing goals

I believe in setting achievable writing goals. That doesn't mean I settle for less. It means I am usually fully aware of my present abilities; therefore I am usually fully aware of which goals are actually within my reach, and which ones are beyond reach from my current position. With each achievement I set the bar a little higher for the next project.  For years I was a closet writer. Most of what I wrote sucked and I wouldn't let anyone else read what I had written –because it sucked. Like learning to play a musical instrument, I got better with practice and finally allowed a few trusted friends to read and critique my stories.  Eventually I joined a writing group, took a couple of classes, and attended workshops and conferences. As I learned writing technique and honed my skills I started entering contest. Then I started winning contest.  Finally I got secure enough in my skills as a writer to submit my work to publishers. I've had a few short stor...